Skip to main content

Happy New School Year!


What an exciting time of year!  Some of us have already had our first day and for other of us that day is fast approaching.  What I can definitely say is that I always love it when the PD days are over, and my kids are coming back.

I've met the incoming freshmen class at Fish Camp, new displays are up, shelves are straightened and we are ready to welcome our students.

29 years in and it is still just as exciting to me as it ever was, y'all.  I'm sharing 5 things I do to keep me joyful as we start our new year.

  1. The before school morning rush finds me greeting my people. We generally host somewhere around 150 kids before school starts each morning. Coffee in hand, I am going around the library checking in on all my kids.  Greeting them, saying good morning, making sure they have what they need for the day.  Email can wait, my to-do list can wait, everything waits because this is my time to make sure every kid in my space is noticed, acknowledged, and spoken to with kindness. 
  2. Once my kids head out to first period, its time to get my work day prioritized.  I double check the calendar to make sure I know who has reservations in each space, check my email, and draft a few items to my Daily To Do list ---which are items lifted each day from my Grand Master to-do list. This keeps me on track, while making sure I'm not getting overwhelmed.Overwhelmed Sonja is not my best look.
  3. During the moment of silence each morning I get still and I do some yoga breathing.  I intentionally focus on sending positive energy out into my immediate world.  I take that time to have a quiet moment of gratitude, remembering my purpose. Do I have a thousand things to do?  Yes.  Does it actually benefit me in the long run to take this moment for intentional quiet stillness & gratitude. Also, yes.
  4. Take nothing personal. Let no one get you down for long because of their attitude, their harsh words, etc.  Kids and adults alike. Learn to take it all in stride. In the words of Taylor Swift, shake it off.  
  5. Throughout the day, make sure to hydrate.  Feeling cranky?  When did you last eat? I grab some water, or make a nice cup of hot tea, & eat a small handful of cheese and roasted almonds.  You can't be there fully for your people if you neglect yourself. 
I'd love to hear some of your tips!  Hats off to a great school year, y'all!
Sonja

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sticky Wickets, or things they don't teach you in library school

I"m going into my 29th year as an educator this year---9 in the classroom, and headed into my 20th year as a school librarian. I've worked in elementary, middle, and now high school as a librarian. You might say I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly throughout the years. Through it all--the good times and the bad--I've always firmly believed I have the best gig in the universe.  I love what I do, and I have a true passion for it. I had a brilliant professor in library school named Betty Carter.  She used to talk about how meeting difficult characters or situations in a book before you met them in real life was so helpful to young people because it gave them the chance to think through it and figure out best ways to handle it ahead of time.  I hope that you will read this list in much the same vein.  Especially for all my new-to-the-library friends, this is not a list of mere complaints, but a list of possible scenarios for you to brainstorm about so that ...

Goals, Reflections, & Social Media

I took November off from blogging so that I could participate in NaNoWriMo ( National Novel Writing Month ) and I'm proud to say that after 8 years of participating, I am *finally* an official winner!  So, while I have gained wonderful things from each and every time I've participated, hitting that special 50,000-word mark has remained elusive until now. I know exactly what made the difference, too.  I reviewed my 50 Before 50 list in my bullet journal and saw that this was a goal made over two years ago that hadn't yet been achieved. This year was my last opportunity to hit that 50 before 50 goal.  I felt an urgency this go-round because crossing this off my list truly meant something. Since I even finished with NaNoWriMo a bit early, over Thanksgiving break I took the opportunity to participate in Dr. Laura Sheneman's Think Like a Social Media Superstar challenge. She runs a blog and a podcast called Librarian Influencers , so be sure to check her out if you ...

Teaching: Why I Choose to STAY

Doug Robertson (@TheWeirdTeacher) posted recently on Twitter about his frustration with the quitting martyr teacher posts that always seem to go viral on Facebook about this time of year.  Shared by educators and non-educators alike.  I've seen them, of course. We've all seen them.  I've read them, and I hear their words.  They decide to burn it down when they leave, I suppose, filled with frustration and anger and sadness, too, perhaps. But Doug's Twitter thread really resonated with me, y'all.  And then this morning someone in the thread (@MoniseLSeward) suggested we use the hashtag #WhyIChooseToStay to share our stories. Yeah, I son't know that it was necessarily meant as an actual call to share, but I loved the idea, so here's mine. I just completed year 28 as an educator. I've been a kindergarten teacher, an elementary teacher of grades 2,3,4,5, an elementary school teacher-librarian, an intermediate school teacher-librarian, a middle scho...