Skip to main content

Stealing Like an Artist: Book People Addition


Every good trip to Austin, for me, includes a stop at Book People.
It's magical, really.  Two glorious floors of books and various wonders.
Funky and eclectic.
Workers who know and love books, and who help but don't hover.obtrusively.
A fantastic children's area.
I could (and have) spend hours there just breathing in the air and soaking up all the goodness.
It is a soul-healing space.

I always find a multitude of things I want to purchase, of course, but I also am always super inspired to bring home to my own library a bit of the magic they've created in that space.

As one of my favorites, Austin Kleon, says, steal like an artist. 
So, here are 5 things I've taken with me this time around:

1. Book People is an Independent bookstore, so they get to do what they want, unbound by any far-away entity telling them how to market.  They know their people and they know their books, and they create the best displays to showcase their stuff.  I'm going to up my display game this year, creating several display stations to market the great books we have. I'm hoping my senior library clerks will be inspired to unleash their artistic ability, too.  

2. They are books, but they are more than books. Part of what delights the senses in their space are the other items of wonder. Fun and funky, sometimes bookish, sometimes witty, sometimes beautiful items.  Yes, their items are for sale, but incorporating the idea of shifting my passive makerspace stations more often, for example, and including fun signage and out of the ordinary things to do and explore can bring that same idea home to the library. Novelty catches the eye.  Beauty enchants. Those things spark joy and wonder and get kids (and adults) playing, thinking, tinkering, and dreaming.  If you ask me, we could all sure use more of that in our lives.

3.  They have really cool events. And while I can't do it on the same scale, I can totally up my game in this area.  I met with some students last year and asked them what kind of events/speakers/groups they'd like to see in the library and we came up with a list of awesome possibilities.

4. They have a TON of books faced out with book recommendation tags from their employees or other bookish folk.  Just take a closer look at my pic up top for an example.  I keep meaning to do more of this, but this year, it is absolutely happening.  It is so helpful when looking for something new to read to see what other readers love and recommend.

5. They spread the word of their awesomeness.  Librarians are notorious for not shouting loudly enough about the Awesome that is the library. Keep in mind, that you are shouting about the library, and not about you personally. So shout it to the rooftops and let everyone know of the greatness going down in your space.  That's what I intend to do this year.  Advocacy, advocacy, advocacy, y'all.

My goal?  #BeMoreBookPeople

We got this!
Sonja

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sticky Wickets, or things they don't teach you in library school

I"m going into my 29th year as an educator this year---9 in the classroom, and headed into my 20th year as a school librarian. I've worked in elementary, middle, and now high school as a librarian. You might say I've seen the good, the bad, and the ugly throughout the years. Through it all--the good times and the bad--I've always firmly believed I have the best gig in the universe.  I love what I do, and I have a true passion for it. I had a brilliant professor in library school named Betty Carter.  She used to talk about how meeting difficult characters or situations in a book before you met them in real life was so helpful to young people because it gave them the chance to think through it and figure out best ways to handle it ahead of time.  I hope that you will read this list in much the same vein.  Especially for all my new-to-the-library friends, this is not a list of mere complaints, but a list of possible scenarios for you to brainstorm about so that ...

Goals, Reflections, & Social Media

I took November off from blogging so that I could participate in NaNoWriMo ( National Novel Writing Month ) and I'm proud to say that after 8 years of participating, I am *finally* an official winner!  So, while I have gained wonderful things from each and every time I've participated, hitting that special 50,000-word mark has remained elusive until now. I know exactly what made the difference, too.  I reviewed my 50 Before 50 list in my bullet journal and saw that this was a goal made over two years ago that hadn't yet been achieved. This year was my last opportunity to hit that 50 before 50 goal.  I felt an urgency this go-round because crossing this off my list truly meant something. Since I even finished with NaNoWriMo a bit early, over Thanksgiving break I took the opportunity to participate in Dr. Laura Sheneman's Think Like a Social Media Superstar challenge. She runs a blog and a podcast called Librarian Influencers , so be sure to check her out if you ...

Teaching: Why I Choose to STAY

Doug Robertson (@TheWeirdTeacher) posted recently on Twitter about his frustration with the quitting martyr teacher posts that always seem to go viral on Facebook about this time of year.  Shared by educators and non-educators alike.  I've seen them, of course. We've all seen them.  I've read them, and I hear their words.  They decide to burn it down when they leave, I suppose, filled with frustration and anger and sadness, too, perhaps. But Doug's Twitter thread really resonated with me, y'all.  And then this morning someone in the thread (@MoniseLSeward) suggested we use the hashtag #WhyIChooseToStay to share our stories. Yeah, I son't know that it was necessarily meant as an actual call to share, but I loved the idea, so here's mine. I just completed year 28 as an educator. I've been a kindergarten teacher, an elementary teacher of grades 2,3,4,5, an elementary school teacher-librarian, an intermediate school teacher-librarian, a middle scho...